[Vol-users] Using Windows XP VMs for testing and windows activation

Mike Lambert dragonforen at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 12 18:05:53 CDT 2012

I have not used VMs in the past to do malware testing because of the windows activation problems I run into. Clone, you have to activate; copy, you have to activate; move, you have to activate. I'm surprised that it still activates!

I would like to talk to someone who knows the best way to deal with this. (or not) I'd like to have a clone that is infected that I can go back to later. (I do that now with hard disk images - I can put back a disk image to disk and plug it into the computer and bring it right back up.)

I can continue to use my test system, which I do not have any problem with. I blow a copy of a clean system to disk and then go on testing without any activation problems.

Let me know if you have a solution.

Thanks,
Mike