[Vol-users] Tool Testing (re:Dementia thread)

Stefan Vömel stefan.voemel at cs.fau.de
Thu Jan 10 13:45:41 CST 2013

Hi everyone,

With respect to the requirements for sound memory *acquisition*, I have
done a lot of research in this area in the last year.

We have published a paper that might be of interest in this context:
"Correctness, atomicity, and integrity: Defining criteria for
forensically-sound memory acquisition"
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1742287612000254).

In this paper, we have tried to formalize criteria that are required for
"properly" imaging memory. It's a more theoretic/formal work, however,
we have also developed a platform that measures in how far these
criteria are (not) met for selected acquisition utilities.

I'm currently writing a paper about the platform setup and the
respective evaluation results, so hopefully a preliminary version should
be available in a couple of weeks.

Best regards,

Stefan