[Vol-users] OT: Using netsh to set ip address of an interface on winfe/winpe 4.0.

George M. Garner Jr. ggarner_online at gmgsystemsinc.com
Mon Jun 3 11:36:20 CDT 2013

This post is off-topic; however, there are a lot of bright people on
this list so maybe someone will be able to help.  I need to set a static
ipv4 address on an interface in WinPE4.0/WinFE4.0.  For example the
following command works on Windows 8:

netsh.exe interface ip set address Ethernet static 192.168.0.5
255.255.255.0

On WinPE 4.0 I am getting an error that the interface is not found which
is odd since the interface appears in the list of interfaces.  For example:

netsh.exe interface ip show interfaces

and

netsh.exe interface ip show interface Ethernet

both work as expected.

I can also add a route on the interface in WinPE, e.g.:

netsh.exe interface ip add route 192.168.0.0/24 Ethernet

works.  It is just adding the static ip address that doesn't work.  I
have also tried using the IF index instead of the interface name; still
no joy.  Unfortunately I can't use dhcp in some applications because the
client broadcasts an announcement that I am present, which wouldn't be
prudent.

I am wondering if there isn't maybe some dependency that is missing from
my winpe installation?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Regards,

George.