[Vol-users] Huge PID in psxview

Michael Hale Ligh michael.hale at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 14:38:47 CDT 2013

Steve,

It looks like the process was found by analyzing desktop threads (True in
the far right column) and then following that lead to the thread's owning
process. Its possible that an application created a desktop (i.e.
CreateDesktop), started a new process attached to that desktop (the
STARTUPINFO.lpDesktop parameter passed to CreateProcess) or "manually"
attached an existing thread (SetThreadDesktop). At some point before you
acquired memory, the thread(s) terminated and the desktop was removed by
the application by calling CloseDesktop. That is one possible theory to
keep in mind (its not necessarily a rogue process).

I would try running the deskscan plugin to see some details on the desktop
object in question. You can also use volshell and the dt() command to show
the other _EPROCESS fiels for the structure at 0x6da39918.

MHL