[Vol-users] Problems running standalone Windows version of Volatile

Jamie Levy jamie at memoryanalysis.net
Thu Feb 25 08:12:24 CST 2016

Marian,

You should also make sure the dashes are really singles.  Sometimes when
you copy and paste text from other places, the dashes are really a
different character than what is expected.

All the best,

-Jamie

On 2/25/16 8:13 AM, Bridgey theGeek wrote:
> Hi Marian,
>
> That error message seems to relate only to the filename parameter, i.e.
> the "-f" you've used.
> Volatility seems to be telling you that it can't find "test.raw".
>
> Is it definitely in the same folder you're running the command from?
> You can specify the full path with the -f switch, for example:
>
> volatility-2.5-standalone.exe --profile=Win7SP1x64 -f
> C:\path\to\test.raw -v psxview
>
> It's also possible you're using a config file which is over-writing the
> 'location' setting, but you'd probably know if you were doing that:
> https://github.com/volatilityfoundation/volatility/wiki/Volatility-Usage#configuration-files
>
> HTH,
> Adam
>
> On 19 February 2016 at 09:38, Marian Kechlibar
> <marian.kechlibar at circletech.net
> <mailto:marian.kechlibar at circletech.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hello all,
>
>     I am researching the behavior of the Galileo RCS, whose source codes
>     leaked in July 2015. I am using volatility 2.5 on Windows 7 and the
>     instructions given in the blog of Joe Greenwood on 4armed.com
>     <http://4armed.com>.
>
>     I downloaded the standalone version for Windows and I run it from the
>     command line, but it dies immediately complaining about a missing source
>     file.
>
>     volatility-2.5.standalone.exe --profile=Win7SP1x64 -f test.raw -v
>     psxview
>     Volatility Foundation Volatility Framework 2.5
>     ERROR   : volatility.debug    : The requested file doesn't exist
>
>     The system is Windows 7 x64 with SP1, so the profile should be correct.
>
>     Python 2.7 is installed in the system, but it should not be necessary
>     for a standalone version anyway.
>
>     Thank you in advance for help!
>
>     Best regards
>
>     Marian Kechlibar

Jamie Levy (@gleeda)
Blog: http://volatility-labs.blogspot.com/
GPG:  http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x196B2AB527A4AC92
Fingerprint: 2E87 17A1 EC10 1E3E 11D3  64C2 196B 2AB5 27A4 AC92